December 19, 2013

every room needs a show stopper! hints and tips revealed!

I love the work of Doherty Lynch,a Melbourne based multi-disciplinary design practice working on interior design and architectural projects across Australia. Their work has inspired me throughout 2013 - I love the simplicity of their designs and how they also include show stoppers in each room. It's the details I love - the cabinet handles, the pendant lighting, the choice of bench tops, mixing fabrications together, it all works famously - here are a few of my favourite rooms from their gallery, and why I like them so much.
I love how black and white features in nearly all of their homes - so often I see little or no pendant lighting in houses - Pendant lighting adds WOW to a room - so does Black! - don't be afraid to go dark!! and mix woods - its ok to mix light and dark woods together!
Simple white subway tiles look fabulous with the Black cabinetry and wooden bench tops - again a lovely pendant light! subtle but effective.

 mixing dark and light always works for me - when using black and white you almost always need to add wood to soften the palette and add some warmth to the room.
floating cabinets and beautiful details make this room a show stopper - love the shelving.
   beautiful details - show stopper for me in this room is the black kickers and the round cabinet handles.
this kitchen has so many fantastic design elements - it's simple - the round window - the brown stone bench top,  mixed back with wood adds warmth and looks fantastic accessorised with black, and again simple tiling on the splash back that is slightly pearlised gives the room balance and adds texture - Love this!

all pictures courtesy of Doherty and Lynch

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...